Every year when the bells of the New Chinese Year around February 4 are ringing, not only the annual nine Stars do change, but also the three gods (cosmic energy constellations) move to different compass directions influencing our lives. Evidently, the Grand Duke or Tai Sui, Sui Po, Star 5 Yellow, and Three Killings (San Sha) are very strong and powerful energies that we need to respect at all costs. Here is an overview of the annual positions and conflicts as well the Do’s and Don’ts that you can and cannot do in the areas where the energies reside.
2020 Annual Position of the God’s
Grand Duke (Tai Sui 太歲) in 2020:
COMPASS DIRECTION: NORTH (352.5º – 7.5º)
Supportive of the Chinese Sign: RAT
Direct Conflict: HORSE
Indirect Conflict: Rabbit and Rooster
Please read further below under “Understand Grand Duke” what you can and cannot do when under the influence of the Grand Duke/Tai Sui.
Year Breaker (Sui Po 歲破)
COMPASS DIRECTION: South (172.5º -187.5º)
Please read further below under “Understand Grand Duke” what you can and cannot do when under the influence of the Year Breaker/Sui Po.
Three Killings (San Sha 三煞)
COMPASS DIRECTION: SOUTH (142.5º – 217.5º)
Direct Conflict: Monkey, Rat, Dragon (these sign need to be extra careful)
The south in 2020 is quite battered as the Three Killing, the Year Breaker, and annual Star 2 for sickness/illness, bad luck, and financial problems reside here all together. Therefore, it is advisable not to cause any significant disturbances and keep the area quiet throughout the year of 2020. To reduce the bad luck from these inauspicious energies, we recommend placing strong Metal Element into the SOUTH to ease and weaken the tension.
Please read further below under “Understand Grand Duke” what you can and cannot do when under the influence of the Three Killings/San Sha.
Star 5 Yellow (Annual Flying Star)
COMPASS DIRECTION: East (67.5º – 112.5º)
REMEDY for 2020: Place strong Metal Elements and Yin Water Elements (for example Water Bottles) to cure
Please read further below under “Understand Grand Duke” what you can and cannot do when under the influence of theStar 5 Yellow.
Auspicious & Inauspicious Annual Stars
Auspicious Stars (Star 1, Star 4, Star 6, Star 8, Star 9)
- Lucky Star 1 – NORTH-EAST Palace = Enhance with Water and/or Metal Elements
- Study & Academics Star 4 – SOUTH-WEST Palace = Place any kind of Water Elements here
- Carrier & Authority Star 6 – SOUTH-EAST Palace = Place a Water Element (fishtank) here
- Wealth Star 8 – NORTH-WEST Palace = Enhance with Earth Element and/or Fire Element
- 2nd Wealth Star 9 – WEST Palace = Enhance with Wood and Fire Elements
Inauspicious Stars (Star 2, Star 3, Star 7)
- Illness/Sickness Star 2 = SOUTH Palace – Place strong Metal Elements here (especially if construction is happening in front of your home)
- Arguments Star 3 = NORTH Palace – Cure with Fire Elements to keep it in check.
- Violent/Robbery Star 7 = CENTER Palace: As the center will not have much influence, no need to cure or remedy Star 7
If you are following all our advice, an excellent, peaceful, and trouble-free year awaits you. Enjoy the good energy vibes!
ADVISE IF YOU NEED TO DO RENOVATION: If you need to undergo any construction which cannot be delayed, please place a six metal rod wind chime in the area where the work has to be done. In addition, check if some auspicious monthly stars reside in the area, which gives you additional protection. Try to avoid or delay any work in an area where also the monthly Star is quite inauspicious as it will bring bad luck into your home plus the work will be far from smooth.
Understand Feng Shui Grand Duke (Tai Sui 太歲)
Also Read: What is your lucky Feng Shui Kua Number
The Grand Duke, or as the Chinese say Tai Sui is the stars forming directly opposite the planet Jupiter for the cycle of the current year. Please remember that the Cycle God energy is a compass direction only associated with the current year and is not a location of the Earthly branch. Tai Sui occupies a 30-degree direction of the 360-degree full compass, and we need to consider the relationship between your home and the energy directions where Grand Duke occurs.
The God of Tai Sui requires you to pay respect and honor him in every aspect. As he is a powerful god, he dislikes people facing him directly upfront. As of this reason, you should follow this rule very strictly:
YOU CAN SIT IN TAI SUI area, BUT YOU CANNOT SIT FACING HIM at all cost!
Said differently, even if your lucky direction (Kua) tells you to face into a particular compass direction, but the Tai Sui is there during the year, you should not follow the Kua and face the Tai Sui as it brings very bad luck. He hates it and considers it as a profound disrespect toward him.
It is better to stay on the right side of him by honoring him to carry all the time a Tai Sui talisman with you or placing a Tai Sui statue facing the yearly directions of him.
DO NOT do to aggravate Grand Duke (Tai Sui 太歲):
Please do follow the rules below as it avoids any adverse problems coming your way. The Grand Duke can cause all kinds of mishap and bad luck, so please do not anger him:
- Avoid traveling away or into the compass direction of the Grand Duke.
- In case the front door opens into the compass direction of the Tai Sui, try to avoid using the door and opt for a different one. In case you have no choice, hang a Tai Sui Talisman near the door and open/close the door without much noise (no door slamming..)
- Your bed can be standing in the Grand Duke area, but avoid pointing your head toward his directions. One of the problems that you might face is having difficulties getting pregnant.
- Make sure that also your neighbors do respect the Tai Sui. In case they are not aware of Feng Shui and unintentionally dishonor him, try to block the energy flow toward your home.
- Be extra careful if the Star 5 Yellow and Tai Sui for the year or the month occur at the same time in the same direction.
- Do not do deep digging into the earth, for example, planting a big tree
- Please do not do any kinds of renovations in his direction (drilling, hammering)
- Making loud noises such as having a party with loud music
- Putting a fountain or pool here
Do’s to honor the Grand Duke (Tai Sui 太歲):
- If the current direction of Tai Sui is beneficial to you, take advantage of his benefits by wearing a Tai Sui talisman.
- You can plant smaller shrubs or vegetables without any problems
- Using the door quietly
- You still can watch TV or listen to music with average volume
- Doing any painting or decoration which is not too noise is just fine
Understand Feng Shui Year Breaker (Sui Po 歲破)
Read Further: Feng Shui Myths Busted
Likewise, the Grand Duke, the Year Breaker or better known as Sui Po occupies a 30-degree direction on the opposite side of Tai Sui. As the Sui Po is always 180 degrees away, it can be found in the West if the Tai Sui resides in the East. In astrological terms, it is referred to as the Contra to Star Jupiter energy. The energy, though, is not as fierce as the one from the Grand Duke, but still needs attention.
In case you dishonor the energy of the Year Breaker, it can result in immediate health problems and sickness. Therefore, avoid at all cost to aggregate the energy. An excellent way to honor the energy of Sui Po is to place the Weng Chang Pagoda into the 30-degree direction area.
DO NOT do to aggravate Year Breaker (Sui Po 歲破):
- Avoid traveling away or into the compass direction of the Sui Po
- In case the front door opens into the compass direction of the Sui Po try to avoid using the door and opt for a different one. In case you cannot avoid, place a Weng Chang Pagoda next to the door
- Your bed can be standing in the Sui Po area, but avoid pointing your head toward his directions. One of the problems that you might face is having difficulties getting pregnant.
- Do not let your feet point into the Year Breaker direction
- Make sure also your neighbors do respect the Sui Po. In case they are not aware of Feng Shui and unintentionally dishonor him, try to block the energy flow toward your home.
- Do not do deep digging into the earth for example planting a big tree
- Be extra careful if the Star 5 Yellow and Sui Po for the year or the month occur the same time in the same direction.
Do’s to honor the Year Breaker (Sui Po 歲破):
- Your bed can be standing in the Sui Po area, and your head can also point in the direction.
- Be extra careful if the Star 5 Yellow and Sui Po for the year or the month occur at the same time in the same direction.
- If the current direction of Sui Po is beneficial to you, take advantage of his benefits by placing a Weng Chang Pagoda in his direction.
- Digging smaller holes for small plants is ok.
Understand Feng Shui Three Killings (San Sha 三煞)
You may like: Top 5 Feng Shui Mirror Rules you must know
The Three Killings or San Sha causes significant affliction and disturbances in life and should be well taken care of before the New Chinese New Year starts. To understand the Three Killings principle, you need to know that it is a conflicting energy affecting and interfering with the Earthly branch.
The twelve Chinese Animal signs are grouped into four, containing three animal sign members each. The three animal signs in each group (see table below) are from the same Element, therefore forming a strong ally relationship. Each year, the Three Killings San Sha energy battles one branch of the animal signs. The position of San Sha is always the opposite or 180 degrees of the animal sign group/branch it is fighting.
|ELEMENT||TRIANGLE ALLIES||ALLIES DIRECTION||SAN SHA DIRECTION|
|WATER||Dragon, Rat, Monkey||NORTH||SOUTH, FIRE|
|WOOD||Rabbit, Pig, Sheep||EAST||WEST, METAL|
|FIRE||Dog, Tiger, Horse||SOUTH||NORTH, WATER|
|METAL||Ox, Snake, Rooster||WEST||EAST, WOOD|
The Three Killings energy will bring back luck to you. It involves loss of income, reputation, or accidents
DO NOT do to aggravate the Three Killings (San Sha 三煞)
To avoid bad luck, please follow the guidelines of what you should not do during the year in the direction of Three Killings:
- YOU CAN FACE or SIT AWAY from San Sha, BUT YOU CANNOT SIT ON IT at all costs!
- Do not aggravate or disturb the energy inside and outside of your home.
- Absolutely, no renovations in the Three Killings direction
- Also, it is not allowed to hang any photos on the wall where you need to use a hammer or drill
- Avoid traveling away or into the compass direction of the Sui Po. If you need to travel into or from his direction, a strong Talisman or Lucky Charm should be in your pocket all the time.
- Do not do deep digging into the earth, for example, planting a big tree
- Don’t replace or repair any windows, doors, or do remodeling of any kind.
- No drilling or hammering of all kinds
- Do not build or extend anything around your home and garden
Do’s to honor the Three Killings (San Sha 三煞)
- Sit and face away from the annual direction if you can
- In case the front door opens into the compass direction of the San Sha, try to avoid using the door and opt for a different one. If you have no choice, hang a Three Bells or Fu Fu Dragon near the door and open/close the door without much noise (no door slamming..)
- Doing smaller garden jobs and minor digging is allowed.
- Do any remodeling around the home that is noise-free such as painting.
Feng Shui Star 5 Yelllow (Annual Flying Star)
Do not forget to read: Moon Phases in Feng Shui & Full Moon Meditation
There is a lot of discussion in the world of Feng Shui when it comes to the Star 5 yellow. Mainly you might hear that all kinds of mishaps, delays, and accidents do happen when Star 5 takes control. To some point, I will not disagree, but little is heard of the spectacular events that Star 5 can also produce. In the original Luoshu, the energy of Star 5 is located in the center and holds no direct Trigram.
Emphatically, Star 5 can be portrayed as the emperor or the central energy that controls everything. In fact, it does control all the other Star energies by directing them in their wuxing and waning cycles. I call Star 5 yellow the universal Qi having energy under it as its labor force doing all the jobs on planet earth. By the way, there is a reason why the Chinese sign for the King/Emperor is the same as the Trigram of Star 5 (see image above). Interesting, right?
Yes, you need to treat Star 5 Yellow with a lot of respect. In fact, you need to prepare and carefully study each year its direction to stay on the right side of it. The energy can be very noble to you, but also be a tyrant in an awful way.
Star 5 Yellow is an Earth Element, and it is best to have some Metal Elements such as Chinese Coins in the Luoshu palace, where the energy resides for the year. Please remember that Star 5 is very moody, and you never know in which mood it is at the moment. A brief list of the good and bad deeds that the energy can bring into your lives:
- THE BAD:
- Causing delays, mishap, and a lot of misunderstanding
- Possible accidents
- War, conflict, critical events, death
- THE GOOD:
- brings immense authority
- Support your intuition
- Provides you with the best and most decisive events in life
DO NOT do to aggravate the Feng Shui Star 5 Yelllow
- Never ever build a new house or change the roof when annual Star 5 is in the center. I will bring severe sickness to the home.
- Avoid traveling away or into the compass direction of the Star 5 Yellow. If you need to travel into or from its direction, a strong Talisman or Lucky Charm should be in your pocket all the time.
- Do not cause conflict or arguments in the palace and direction of Star 5. It will haunt you and backfire like there is no tomorrow
- Do not produce any kinds of noisy events in its direction (constructions, loud music, fighting). The energy loves quite an ambient and surrounding.
Do’s to honor the Three Killings (Feng Shui Star 5 Yelllow)
- Keep calm and relax when in the direction of Star 5
- Eat a healthy diet so that your Qi-Flow inside your body has no blockages. Star 5 loves a free energy flow to produce extraordinary events for you.
- Hang or place Chinese Coins and heavy Metal Elements in the area/direction where Star 5 Yellow is for the year.
- Keep a quiet ambient and if a door locates here, open and close it without much noise.
Understand Feng Shui Protection Guardian (Li Shi)
Keep Reading: Feng Shui T Junction Tips
Li Shi is not well known, and it is quite hard to find anything notable written in English Feng Shuiliterature about him. He is a mighty Earth Sha that used to influence and protect the samurai and military in ancient China. As he stands firm, his protection properties are, without any doubt, what the emperors were seeking. As Li Shi does not arrive every single year, we will keep you up to date.
The corner palaces of the Luoshu do activate and welcome him upon arrival. He can only be found in these four palaces of Xun, Gen, Kun, and Qian and nowhere else. To make matters more complicate, he only likes to arrive in specific years such as:
- 2 Earth Pig Years
- 4 Wood Rooster Years
- 6 Metal Dragon Years
- 8 Earth Snake Years
There will be a 30-degree directional sector to find him in the given years, as mentioned above. If the annual Star 5 yellow also resides in the same palace where Li Shi’s energy occupies, it generates enormous power and protection. Respecting and paying respect to him with a Chinese Protection Guardian Deity Statue, he will become fearless to protect you like his own emperor. As Li Shi needs the strength and power of Star 5 Yellow, it is quite hard to know when he will arrive and join hands with Star 5 Yellow.
DO NOT do to aggravate the Protection Guardian Deity Li Shi
- As he is a strong Earth Element, he hates when you do digging or
- breaking the earth by taking down structures and
- doing renovations
Do’s to honor the Protection Guardian Deity Li Shi
- Place a Chinese Protection Guardian Deity Statue into the palace/direction to activate him. In return, he will guard and protect you for the year.
If you have further questions, please feel to leave a comment. We will respond and answer all your questions.